This is a quick summary review of A Message to Garcia containing key details about the book.
What is A Message to Garcia About?
"A Message to Garcia" is a book by Elbert Hubbard that tells the story of an American soldier named Rowan who is tasked with delivering a message to the leader of the Cuban rebels during the Spanish-American War. The book is often cited as an example of initiative and resourcefulness.
A Message to Garcia expresses the value of individual initiative and conscientiousness in work. As its primary example, the essay uses a dramatized version of a daring escapade performed by an American soldier, 1st Lt. Andrew S. Rowan, just prior to the Spanish–American War. The essay describes Rowan carrying a message from President William McKinley to "Gen. Calixto García, a leader of the Cuban insurgents somewhere in the mountain vastness of Cuba—no one knew where". The essay contrasts Rowan's self-driven effort against "the imbecility of the average man—the inability or unwillingness to concentrate on a thing and do it".
Who is the author of A Message to Garcia?
Elbert Green Hubbard was an American writer, publisher, artist, and philosopher. Raised in Hudson, Illinois, he had early success as a travelling salesman for the Larkin Soap Company.
What are some key summary points from A Message to Garcia?
Here are some key takeaways from the book:
- The book tells the story of Rowan, a soldier who is given the task of delivering a message to the leader of the Cuban rebels during the Spanish-American War. Despite facing many challenges and obstacles, Rowan manages to successfully deliver the message, demonstrating resourcefulness and initiative.
- "A Message to Garcia" has become a popular business and self-help book, and is often cited as an example of the importance of taking initiative and being a self-starter. The book celebrates Rowan's determination and can-do attitude, and portrays him as a model of efficiency and dependability.
- The book argues that the ability to take initiative and solve problems independently is a valuable trait that can lead to success in any field.
- Print length: 48 pages
- Genre: Military, Fiction, Leadership, Fiction
What is a good quote from A Message to Garcia?
Top Quote: "I pray that I may never meddle, interfere, dictate, give advice that is not wanted, or assist when my services are not needed. If I can help people, I’ll do it by giving them a chance to help themselves; and if I can uplift or inspire, let it be by example, inference, and suggestion, rather than by injunction and dictation.” - A Message to Garcia Quotes, Elbert Green Hubbard
* The summary points above have been concluded from the book and other public sources. The editor of this summary review made every effort to maintain information accuracy, including any published quotes, chapters, or takeaways
Tal Gur is an author, founder, and impact-driven entrepreneur at heart. After trading his daily grind for a life of his own daring design, he spent a decade pursuing 100 major life goals around the globe. His journey and most recent book, The Art of Fully Living, has led him to found Elevate Society.