Oscar Arias: Life Story, Bio and Facts
Who is Oscar Arias?
Óscar Arias Sánchez (born September 13, 1940) is a Costa Rican politician and diplomat who served as the President of Costa Rica twice, first from 1986 to 1990 and then again from 2006 to 2010. He is best known for his role as a mediator in the Central American peace process of the 1980s and for being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1987 for his efforts.
Arias was born in Heredia, Costa Rica, and studied at the University of Costa Rica and at the London School of Economics. He began his political career as a member of the National Liberation Party and was elected to the Legislative Assembly in 1970. In 1986, he was elected president of Costa Rica, and during his first term, he played a key role in bringing an end to the civil conflicts in El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Guatemala.
In 1987, Arias was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end the conflicts in Central America. He also implemented economic and social reforms, such as the creation of a national health system, the promotion of environmental protection, and the strengthening of the public education system.
After leaving office in 1990, Arias continued to be active in politics and diplomacy, serving as a member of the Central American parliament and as a member of the United Nations Secretary-General's Group of Eminent Persons on the Indian Ocean. He was re-elected as president in 2006, and during his second term, he focused on issues such as poverty reduction and environmental conservation.
Arias is considered one of the most influential figures in Costa Rican and Central American politics, and his efforts for peace and democracy have been recognized by many countries and international organizations.
Oscar Arias Fast Facts
Oscar Arias Sánchez (born September 13, 1940) is a Costa Rican politician and diplomat who served as the President of Costa Rica from 1986 to 1990 and again from 2006 to 2010. He is best known for his efforts to promote peace and democracy in Central America, particularly through the Esquipulas II peace plan.
* Arias was born in Heredia, Costa Rica, and studied law and economics at the University of Costa Rica and the London School of Economics.
* He was first elected President of Costa Rica in 1986, and during his first term he helped to negotiate the Esquipulas II peace plan, which helped to bring an end to the civil wars in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Nicaragua.
* Arias received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1987 for his role in the peace process.
* He served a second term as President of Costa Rica from 2006 to 2010.
* Arias is a member of the National Liberation Party, and has been involved in Costa Rican politics for much of his career.
* He has also been active in regional and international politics, and has served as a mediator and peace negotiator in several conflicts in the region.
* Arias is recognized for his efforts to promote peace, democracy, and human rights in Central America and internationally, and continues to be an important political figure in Costa Rica and the region.
Tal Gur is an author, founder, and impact-driven entrepreneur at heart. After trading his daily grind for a life of his own daring design, he spent a decade pursuing 100 major life goals around the globe. His journey and most recent book, The Art of Fully Living, has led him to found Elevate Society.