This is a summary review of Work Rules! containing key details about the book.
What is Work Rules! About?
"Work Rules!" is a book that explores the practices and principles behind creating a successful and fulfilling workplace culture.
Work Rules! shows how to strike a balance between creativity and structure, leading to success you can measure in quality of life as well as market share. Read it to build a better company from within rather than from above; read it to reawaken your joy in what you do.
Summary Points & Takeaways from Work Rules!
Some key summary points and takeaways from the book includes:
* Bock provides insights into Google's approach to management, including how the company attracts, develops, and retains top talent.
* The book covers the company's unique approach to compensation, including how they determine salaries and bonuses and the importance of transparency.
* Bock also explores Google's culture and how the company values collaboration, creativity, and the development of innovative ideas.
* The book provides a detailed overview of Google's performance management practices, including their approach to regular performance feedback and goal-setting.
* Bock discusses Google's commitment to diversity and inclusion, and how they work to create a supportive and inclusive work environment.
* The author shares his insights on how companies can create a culture of trust and engagement, and how leaders can create an environment that fosters employee empowerment and development.
* "Work Rules!" provides guidance for managers and leaders on how to create a culture of innovation, growth, and high performance, and provides a blueprint for transforming the way organizations work.
Who is the author of Work Rules!?
Laszlo Bock is a Romanian-born American businessman, who is co-founder and CEO of Humu. He was formerly the Senior Vice President of People Operations at Google, Inc.
- Print length: 406 pages
- Genre: Business, Nonfiction, Leadership
Work Rules! Chapters
Chapter 1:Preface: a guidance counselor's nightmare
Chapter 2:Why Google's rules will work for you
Chapter 3:Becoming a founder
Chapter 4:"Culture eats strategy for breakfast"
Chapter 5:Lake Wobegon, where all the new hires are above average
Chapter 6:Searching for the best
Chapter 7:Don't trust your gut
Chapter 8:Let the inmates run the asylum
Chapter 9:Why everyone hates performance management, and what we decided to do about it
Chapter 10:The two tails
Chapter 11:Building a learning institution
Chapter 12:Pay unfairly
Chapter 13:The best things in life are free (or almost free)
Chapter 14:Nudge a lot
Chapter 15:It's not all rainbows and unicorns
Chapter 16:What you can do starting tomorrow
Chapter 17:Afterword for HR geeks only: building the world's first people operations team.
What is a good quote from Work Rules!?
Top Quote: “If you’re achieving all your goals, you’re not setting them aggressively enough.” - Work Rules! Quotes, Laszlo Bock
What do critics say?
Here's what one of the prominent reviewers had to say about the book: "Good guidance from the head of Google's innovative People Operations, who wants to show companies how to attract and keep the best managers...Love the read-it-two-ways title." — Library Journal
* The editor of this summary review made every effort to maintain information accuracy, including any published quotes, chapters, or takeaways. If you're interested in furthering your personal growth, you may want to explore my list of favorite self-improvement books. These books, which have had a significant impact on my life, are carefully curated and come with summaries and key lessons.