Who Is Augustine of Hippo
Augustine of Hippo Biography
Augustine of Hippo, also known as Saint Augustine, was a prominent Christian theologian, philosopher, and bishop of the 4th and 5th centuries. He was born in 354 AD in the Roman province of Africa (present-day Algeria) and was raised in a Christian household. However, in his youth, he followed a lifestyle of hedonism and pursued a career in rhetoric before converting to Christianity.
Augustine is best known for his writings, particularly his "Confessions," which is considered one of the most important works in Western Christianity. In it, he reflects on his past life and his conversion to Christianity. He also wrote many other influential works such as "City of God" and "On the Trinity" that helped shape Christian theology and philosophy.
Augustine's ideas and writings had a significant impact on the development of Western Christianity and continue to be studied and debated to this day. He is considered one of the greatest Christian thinkers and his writings are still widely read and studied. He passed away on August 28, 430 AD in Hippo, modern-day Annaba, Algeria.
Augustine of Hippo Fast Facts
* Augustine of Hippo, also known as Saint Augustine, was a Christian theologian and philosopher born in 354 AD in the Roman province of Africa (modern-day Algeria).
* He was raised in a Christian family but turned away from the faith in his youth, living a life of hedonism before converting to Christianity in his 30s.
* Augustine is considered one of the most important figures in the development of Western Christianity and is considered one of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time.
* He is best known for his book "Confessions," an autobiographical work in which he details his spiritual journey and development.
* Augustine developed the concept of original sin and the idea that humans are inherently flawed and in need of redemption through God's grace.
* He also wrote extensively on the nature of God, the Trinity, and the relationship between faith and reason.
* Augustine was a strong advocate for the use of reason in understanding religious truth and his ideas had a significant impact on the development of Christian theology and philosophy.
* Augustine served as a bishop in the city of Hippo (now Annaba, Algeria) for over 35 years and was a key figure in the fight against the heresy of Pelagianism.
* Augustine passed away on August 28, 430 AD during the siege of Hippo by the Vandals.
* He was canonized by the Catholic Church and is recognized as a saint by the Eastern Orthodox and Anglican churches.
Augustine of Hippo Top Quotes
"Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you." (Meaning)
"In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." (Meaning)
"Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering."
"Love is the beauty of the soul."
"Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul." (Meaning)
"Patience is the companion of wisdom." (Meaning)
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." (Meaning)
"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die" (Meaning)
"He who created us without our help will not save us without our consent." (Meaning)
"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe." (Meaning)
"Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation." (Meaning)
"What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like." (Meaning)
"Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance." (Meaning)
"Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand." (Meaning)
"Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility." (Meaning)
"He that is jealous is not in love." (Meaning)
"Bad company is like a nail driven into a post, which, after the first and second blow, may be drawn out with little difficulty; but being once driven up to the head, the pincers cannot take hold to draw it out, but which can only be done by the destruction of the wood." (Meaning)
"Since you cannot do good to all, you are to pay special attention to those who, by the accidents of time, or place, or circumstances, are brought into closer connection with you." (Meaning)
"In the absence of justice, what is sovereignty but organized robbery?" (Meaning)
"The purpose of all wars, is peace." (Meaning)
"Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature." (Meaning)
"The confession of evil works is the first beginning of good works." (Meaning)
"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity." (Meaning)
"The words printed here are concepts. You must go through the experiences." (Meaning)
"It seems to me that an unjust law is no law at all." (Meaning)
"Forgiveness is the remission of sins. For it is by this that what has been lost, and was found, is saved from being lost again." (Meaning)
* The editor of this short biography made every effort to maintain information accuracy, including any quotes, facts, or key life events. If you're looking to expand your personal development, I recommend exploring other people's life stories and gaining inspiration from my collection of inspiring quotes. Exposing yourself to different perspectives can broaden your worldview and help you with your personal growth.
Tal Gur is an author, founder, and impact-driven entrepreneur at heart. After trading his daily grind for a life of his own daring design, he spent a decade pursuing 100 major life goals around the globe. His journey and most recent book, The Art of Fully Living, has led him to found Elevate Society.