Who Is Augustus
Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus (23 September 63 BC – 19 August AD 14) was the first Roman emperor, reigning from 27 BC until his death in AD 14. He was born into an equestrian family in Rome, and rose to prominence through his political and military acumen. In 44 BC, he played a key role in the assassination of Julius Caesar, and subsequently fought a civil war against Mark Antony and Cleopatra. He emerged victorious, and in 27 BC was granted the title of Augustus by the Roman Senate, marking the beginning of the Roman Empire. Augustus' rule was characterized by relative peace and prosperity, and he is credited with many administrative and political reforms that laid the foundation for the Roman Empire's stability and longevity. He died in AD 14, and was succeeded by his stepson Tiberius.
Augustus Fast Facts
* Augustus' reign was marked by a period of relative peace and stability known as the Pax Romana, or Roman Peace.
* He initiated a number of political, social, and economic reforms that laid the foundation for the Roman Empire and established many of the institutions that would endure for centuries.
* Augustus reformed the Roman army, creating a standing professional force and reorganizing the provinces and the administration of justice.
* He also initiated a massive building program throughout the empire, including the reconstruction of the city of Rome, the construction of many public buildings, and the establishment of many colonies.
* Augustus was also a patron of the arts and literature, and his reign saw a flowering of Roman culture.
* He was a religious reformer, and under his rule, the Roman state religion was officially established and traditional Roman religious practices were revived.
* Augustus was also a skilled propagandist, and he used art, literature, and architecture to promote his image and ideals.
* Augustus died in 14 AD at the age of 75, and was declared a god by the Roman Senate after his death.
* He was the first Roman Emperor and his rule is seen as the beginning of the Roman Empire, and he is considered one of the greatest rulers in history.
* The editor of this short biography made every effort to maintain information accuracy, including any quotes, facts, or key life events. If you're looking to expand your personal development, I recommend exploring other people's life stories and gaining inspiration from my collection of inspiring quotes. Exposing yourself to different perspectives can broaden your worldview and help you with your personal growth.
Tal Gur is an author, founder, and impact-driven entrepreneur at heart. After trading his daily grind for a life of his own daring design, he spent a decade pursuing 100 major life goals around the globe. His journey and most recent book, The Art of Fully Living, has led him to found Elevate Society.