This is a summary review of Civilizations containing key details about the book.
What is Civilizations About?
The idea of 'civilizations' has always been debated, even fought over. At the heart of those debates lies the big question of how people - from prehistory to the present day - have depicted themselves and others, both human and divine. The author explores how art has shaped, and been shaped by, the people who created it. How have we looked at these images? Why have they sometimes been so contentious?
Who is the author of Civilizations?
Dame Winifred Mary Beard, DBE, FSA, FBA is a British classicist and author. She is Professor of Classics at the University of Cambridge, a fellow of Newnham College, and Royal Academy of Arts Professor of Ancient Literature. She is known for her books and articles on classical civilization, as well as for her appearances on television and radio programs. Some of her most notable books include:
- "Women in Ancient Rome" (1996) - In this book, Beard examines the lives of Roman women in the context of Roman society and culture.
- "The Parthenon" (2002) - This book is a study of the famous ancient Greek temple and its history, from its construction in the 5th century BCE to the present day.
- "Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town" (2008) - This book provides a detailed and engaging look at the Roman town of Pompeii, which was buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79.
- "Confronting the Classics: Traditions, Adventures and Innovations" (2013) - This book is a collection of essays that explore the ongoing relevance of classical civilization and its influence on contemporary culture.
- "The Fires of Vesuvius: Pompeii Lost and Found" (2018)
- "SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome" (2015) - This book is a comprehensive history of ancient Rome, covering the city's foundation to the end of the Roman Republic.
- "Laughter in Ancient Rome: On Joking, Tickling, and Cracking Up" (2014)
These are just a few examples of the many books and articles that Dame Winifred Mary Beard has published over the course of her career. She is a respected classicist and her works are widely read and respected.
- Genre: Personal Development
What do critics say?
Here's what one of the prominent reviewers had to say about the book: "Readers will be grateful to have wise, witty Beard as guide and companion... Beard is charming and insightful piece by piece." — San Francisco Chronicle
* The summary points above have been concluded from the book and other public sources. The editor of this summary review made every effort to maintain information accuracy, including any published quotes, chapters, or takeaways
Tal Gur is an author, founder, and impact-driven entrepreneur at heart. After trading his daily grind for a life of his own daring design, he spent a decade pursuing 100 major life goals around the globe. His journey and most recent book, The Art of Fully Living, has led him to found Elevate Society.