This is a summary review of Grit to Great containing key details about the book.
What is Grit to Great About?
"Grit to Great" by Linda Kaplan Thaler and Robin Koval is a motivational self-help book that highlights the power of perseverance and determination in achieving success. The authors argue that talent and intelligence are not the only factors that determine success, but rather it's the ability to persevere through challenges and setbacks that separates successful people from those who give up too soon. They provide practical tips and advice for developing grit, such as cultivating a growth mindset, setting achievable goals, and taking small steps towards success. The book also features real-life examples of individuals who have overcome adversity to achieve great things, from athletes to entrepreneurs to artists. "Grit to Great" is a powerful reminder that anyone can achieve their dreams with enough perseverance and determination, and offers practical advice for cultivating these qualities in oneself.
In Grit to Great, the authors tackle a topic that is close to their hearts, one that they feel is the real secret to their own success in their careers--and in the careers of so many people they know and have met. And that is the incredible power of grit, perseverance, perspiration, determination, and sheer stick-to-it-tiveness.
Summary Points & Takeaways from Grit to Great
Some key summary points and takeaways from the book include:
* Embrace challenges: Challenges and setbacks are opportunities to learn and grow, and can ultimately lead to greater success.
* Practice perseverance: Grit and determination are essential for overcoming obstacles and achieving long-term goals.
* Cultivate a growth mindset: A growth mindset is a belief that abilities can be developed through hard work and dedication, and can help individuals overcome self-doubt and achieve success.
* Focus on your strengths: Building on your strengths and natural talents can help you achieve success and stand out from the crowd.
* Take calculated risks: Taking calculated risks and stepping out of your comfort zone can lead to new opportunities and greater success.
* Stay positive: A positive attitude and optimistic outlook can help you overcome obstacles and stay focused on your goals.
* Connect with others: Building strong relationships and networks can provide valuable support and help individuals achieve greater success.
* Overall, "Grit to Great" emphasizes the importance of embracing challenges, practicing perseverance, cultivating a growth mindset, focusing on strengths, taking calculated risks, staying positive, and connecting with others. By following these principles, individuals can build the resilience and determination necessary to achieve success in any field.
Who is the author of Grit to Great?
Linda Kaplan Thaler is an American advertiser and author. She is currently the CEO & President of Kaplan Thaler Productions. As an advertiser she helped create advertising campaigns that are well known in American culture including the Aflac duck and the “Yes, Yes, Yes” campaign for Clairol Herbal Essence.
Robin Koval is a New York Times best-selling author and CEO and president of Truth Initiative , a nonprofit tobacco control organization best known for its Truth youth smoking prevention campaign.
What are good quotes from Grit to Great?
“You have to treat everyone you meet as if they are the most important person in the world - because they are. If not to you, then to someone, and if not today, then perhaps tomorrow.”
“Working just a little harder than someone else who might be just as talented (or even a bit more) is what will win the day.”
“I’m not the smartest guy, but I can outwork you. It’s the one thing I can control.”
“Failure is how we learn—it’s how we develop and acquire grit.”
“When confidence becomes a muscle memory, panic is replaced by peak performance.”
“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”
“What this tells us is that children who are outperformed may give up rather than fight to improve, and those who do win may not feel compelled to keep trying as hard if even the losers get praise and a trophy.”
“Aristotle, writing about the virtues of hard work, said, “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.”
“Happiness is not the absence of problems. It’s the ability to deal with them.”
- Print length: 160 Pages
- Genre: Nonfiction, Business, Self Help
What are the chapters in Grit to Great?
Chapter 1: Why Grit Matters
Chapter 2: The Talent Myth
Chapter 3: Ditch the Dream
Chapter 4: Lose the Safety Net
Chapter 5: Get into Wait Training
Chapter 6: Ben Like Bamboo
Chapter 7: No Expiration Date
Chapter 8: Grit for Good
What do critics say?
Here's what one of the prominent reviewers had to say about the book: “An insightful guide to achieving success in work and life, filled with real-life stories, tools and techniques that can help us all live with more passion, perseverance and resilience.” — Arianna Huffington
* The editor of this summary review made every effort to maintain information accuracy, including any published quotes, chapters, or takeaways. If you're interested in enhancing your personal growth, I suggest checking out my list of favorite self-development books. These books have been instrumental in my own personal development and I'm confident they can help you too.