30 Famous Quotes by Arthur Ashe
Arthur Ashe was an American tennis player and civil rights activist who was known for his talent on the court and his commitment to social justice. He was the first black man to win the singles title at Wimbledon, and he used his platform to advocate for racial equality and to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS. Ashe's legacy as a trailblazer and advocate for social justice continues to inspire athletes and activists around the world. (Arthur Ashe Biography).
Arthur Ashe Famous Quotes
1. "Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."
2. "A wise person decides slowly but abides by these decisions."
3. "Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome."
4. "Clothes and manners do not make the man; but when he is made, they greatly improve his appearance."
5. "One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation."
6. "I don't want to be remembered for my tennis accomplishments."
7. "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost."
8. "We must reach out our hand in friendship and dignity both to those who would befriend us and those who would be our enemy."
9. "From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life."
10. "I keep sailing on in this middle passage. I am sailing into the wind and the dark. But I am doing my best to keep my boat steady and my sails full."
11. "The ideal attitude is to be physically loose and mentally tight."
12. "My potential is more than can be expressed within the bounds of my race or ethnic identity."
13. "Trust has to be earned, and should come only after the passage of time."
14. "I don't care who you are, you're going to choke in certain matches. You get to a point where your legs don't move and you can't take a deep breath. You start to hit the ball about a yard wide, instead of inches."
15. "I have tried to keep on with my striving because this is the only hope I have of ever achieving anything worthwhile and lasting."
16. "I have always drawn strength from being close to home."
17. "You've got to get to the stage in life where going for it is more important than winning or losing."
18. "You learn about equality in history and civics, but you find out life is not really like that."
19. "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."
20. "When bright young minds can't afford college, America pays the price."
21. "Let me put it this way: I think Republicans tend to keep the ball in play, Democrats go for broke."
22. "Do not feel sorry for me if I am gone."
23. "We must believe in the power of education. We must respect just laws. We must love ourselves, our old and or young, our women as well as our men."
24. "When we were together, I loved you deeply and you gave me so much happiness I can never repay you."
25. "I may not be walking with you all the way, or even much of the way, as I walk with you now."
26. "There is a syndrome in sports called 'paralysis by analysis.'"
27. "I accepted the face that as much as I want to lead others, and love to be around other people, in some essential way, I am something of a loner."
28. "Later, I discovered there was a lot of work to being good in tennis."
29. "I guess I started too early because I just thought it was something fun to do."
30. "If you're paid before you walk on the court, what's the point in playing as if your life depended on it?"
― Arthur Ashe Quotes
* Want to explore more inspiring quotes and their meanings? Head over to my curated collection of elevating quotes.
Tal Gur is an author, founder, and impact-driven entrepreneur at heart. After trading his daily grind for a life of his own daring design, he spent a decade pursuing 100 major life goals around the globe. His journey and most recent book, The Art of Fully Living, has led him to found Elevate Society.