What is The 5 Second Rule About?
The 5 Second Rule is about bypassing your thoughts and placing them into action before your brain has time to think yourself out of an idea. It's about action, action, and more action. It advocates that you should start a possibly unpleasant task within 5 seconds, rather than postponing the completion of it. (The 5 Second Rule Summary)
The 5 Second Rule Quotes
1. [Favorite Quote]: “You Are One Decision Away from a Completely Different Life”
2. “Start before you're ready. Don't prepare, begin.”
3. “Hesitation is the kiss of death. You might hesitate for a just nanosecond, but that’s all it takes. That one small hesitation triggers a mental system that’s designed to stop you."
4. “You can’t control how you feel. But you can always choose how you act.”
5. “There’s one thing that is guaranteed to increase your feelings of control over your life: a bias toward action.”
6. “There will always be someone who can't see your worth. Don't let it be you”
7. "The moment you have an instinct to act on a goal you must 5-4-3-2-1 and physically move or your brain will stop you.”
8. “Your feelings don’t matter. The only thing that matters is what you DO.”
9. “Life is gritty and hard and then suddenly it is brilliant and amazing.”
10. “You have been assigned this mountain so that you can show others it can be moved.”
11. "To play any game, you have to start. To win, you need to keep going. If you want to make your dreams come true, get ready for the long game."
12. “I was the problem and in five seconds, I could push myself and become the solution.”
13. "Feelings are merely suggestions, ones you can ignore."
14. "Success is a numbers game. You are not going to win if you keep telling yourself to wait. "
15. “it’s not the big moves that change everything—it’s the smallest ones in your everyday life that do.”
16. “When it comes to change, goals, and dreams, you have to bet on yourself."
17. “Pushing yourself to take simple actions creates a chain reaction in your confidence and your productivity.”
18. “Every phase of your life and career will require a different you. "
19. "You can’t change the past, but in five seconds you can change your future.”
20. “Procrastination is not a form of laziness at all. It’s a coping mechanism for stress.”
21. "“Whatever is happening right now, this is it. This is your life. And it’s not going to begin again."
22. “Change your decisions and you’ll change your life. And what will change your decisions more than anything? Courage.”
23. “There is only one you. And there will never be another one. Thats your power”
24. “Win or lose, at least I'm doing something.”
25. “Sometimes there is no next time, no second chance, or no time out. Stop waiting. It’s now or never. "
26. “Forget motivation; it’s a myth. I don’t know when we all bought into the idea that in order to change you must “feel” eager or “feel” motivated to act. It’s complete garbage. The moment it’s time to assert yourself, you will not feel motivated. In fact, you won’t feel like doing anything at all.”
27. "When you wait, you aren’t procrastinating. You are doing something more dangerous. You are deliberately convincing yourself “now is not the time.”
You are actively working against your dreams.”
28. “It’s okay to be scared. Being scared means you’re about to do something really, really brave.”
29. “Small things are not small at all. They are the most important things of all. And they add up.”
30. "Hesitation is the kiss of death. You might hesitate for a just nanosecond, but that’s all it takes."
31. “If you don’t learn how to untangle your feelings from your actions, you’ll never unlock your true potential.”
32. “When it comes to change, goals, and dreams, you have to bet on yourself. "
33. "Either you run the day or the day runs you.”
― Quotes from the book 5 Second Rule Mel Robbins
Who is the Author of The 5 Second Rule?
Mel Robbins is one of the leading voices in personal development and a New York Times Bestselling author. She is an American Lawyer turned self-help author. She is most well known for her book, The 5 Second Rule.
Tal Gur is an author, founder, and impact-driven entrepreneur at heart. After trading his daily grind for a life of his own daring design, he spent a decade pursuing 100 major life goals around the globe. His journey and most recent book, The Art of Fully Living, has led him to found Elevate Society.