This is a summary review of Startup Rising containing key details about the book.
What is Startup Rising About?
"Startup Rising" by Christopher M. Schroeder is a book about the emergence of the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. The book emphasizes the importance of culture and community, government and private sector support, social impact, and global connections in fostering the growth of the region's startups.
Despite the world's elation at the Arab Spring, shockingly little has changed politically in the Middle East; even frontliners Egypt and Tunisia continue to suffer repression, fixed elections, and bombings, while Syria descends into civil war. But in the midst of it all, a quieter revolution has begun to emerge, one that might ultimately do more to change the face of the region: entrepreneurship.
In Startup Rising, the author marries his own observations with the predictions of these tech giants to offer a surprising and timely look at the second stealth revolution in the Middle East-one that promises to reinvent it as a center of innovation and progress.
Summary Points & Takeaways from Startup Rising
Some key summary points and takeaways from the book include:
* The MENA region is a fertile ground for entrepreneurship: Despite the challenges of political instability and economic underdevelopment, the MENA region has a large and growing population of young, educated, and tech-savvy individuals who are eager to create innovative solutions to the region's problems.
* The role of culture and community: The cultural and social norms of the MENA region have traditionally favored stability and security over risk-taking and entrepreneurship. However, a new generation of entrepreneurs is challenging these norms by creating a supportive community of like-minded individuals who are willing to take risks and pursue their dreams.
* The importance of government and private sector support: Governments and private sector organizations have an important role to play in supporting the growth of the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the MENA region. Schroeder highlights the importance of policies that promote innovation, access to capital, and regulatory reform.
* The potential for social impact: Many entrepreneurs in the MENA region are motivated by a desire to create social impact and address pressing social and environmental challenges in their communities. Schroeder argues that this focus on social impact can lead to more sustainable and inclusive growth in the region.
* The need for global connections: The MENA region is geographically and culturally isolated from the rest of the world, which can limit the growth of its startup ecosystem. Schroeder suggests that building global connections and partnerships is critical to the success of MENA startups.
Who is the author of Startup Rising?
Christopher M. Schroeder is a bestselling author. He is an American entrepreneur, advisor and investor in interactive technologies and social communications.
What are good quotes from Startup Rising?
“The internet today is not merely a mode of communication but the defining platform by which businesses innovate and transact around the world. How can governments restrict this platform when its very success is based on transparency, openness, and access?”
- Print length: 256 Pages
- Genre: Entrepreneurship, Nonfiction, Business
What are the chapters in Startup Rising?
Chapter 1: Celebration of Entrepreneurship
Chapter 2: Work-Around: "Entrepreneurship Isn't New to the Middle East"
Chapter 3: The New Breed
Chapter 4: Leap Frog
Chapter 5: The Ecosystem Builders
Chapter 6: Startup/Turn-Around: THe Education of a New Generation
Chapter 7: The New Middle East: Women at the Startup Helm
Chapter 8: Religion and the Ecosystem
Chapter 9: Not a Matter of Whether, but When
What do critics say?
Here's what one of the prominent reviewers had to say about the book: “Interest in entrepreneurship in the Middle East has never been greater, which reflects the critical role that new ventures can play in catalyzing economic change in the region. This book provides a lively look at the individuals and institutions behind these exciting and important developments.” — Josh Lerner, Harvard Business School and author of The Architecture of Innovation
* The editor of this summary review made every effort to maintain information accuracy, including any published quotes, chapters, or takeaways. If you're interested in enhancing your personal growth, I suggest checking out my list of favorite self-development books. These books have been instrumental in my own personal development and I'm confident they can help you too.