This is a summary review of You Are a Badass containing key details about the book.
What is You Are a Badass About?
You Are a Badass is an entertaining how-to guide about how to create the life we love and change self-sabotaging beliefs that stop us from getting what we want.
You are a Badass is about getting clear about what makes us happy and what makes us feel the most alive, and then, creating it instead of pretending we can't have it. Or that we don't deserve it.
Who is the Author of You Are a Badass?
Jen Sincero is a a New York Times bestselling author, success coach and motivational cattle prod. As a highly sought-after speaker, Jen has shared her signature brand of motivational comedy with everyone from women entrepreneurs to multi national corporations to non-profits to educational institutions to her mom’s book group.
[Favorite Quote]: “Never apologize for who you are. It lets the whole world down.” (Meaning)
What are key takeaways from You Are a Badass?
Takeaway #1 Live For Yourself, Not Others
How did you choose what you studied at college? How did you choose your current job? Why don't you spend all of your time doing the things that you love? Your answers highlight the fact that many of our choices in life are based on what others tell or recommend us to do, want us to do, or that we do to make others happy - what we actually want for ourselves very rarely enters into the equation but it's time to end this cycle and become badass, living life on your terms.
Takeaway #2 Negative Thoughts Hold You Back
What you believe about yourself is usually based on the messages you heard when you were a child such as 'people like us don't achieve great things', 'we're not rich people', or 'you'll never become anything'. Those messages became lodged in your subconscious mind over time and, because a small part of you thinks it's true, you remain in a 'Big Snooze' and don't pursue the things that could lead to your success. The 'Big Snooze' is like an overprotective parent that doesn't want you to leave the house and explore the world because they're fearful for you but thankfully, no matter your age you can wake up from what is holding you back.
Takeaway #3 Love Yourself
Stop comparing yourself to other people and start loving yourself. You can do this by creating your own mantras and repeating them to yourself as much as possible whether you're in the shower, driving to work, or waiting in a queue, things like 'I am beautiful', and 'I am capable of anything I set my mind to'. When you love yourself a bit more you'll be less afraid to do the things you truly want to do and care less about what people think of you which will give you the power to take life into your own hands.
Takeaway #4 Tap Into The Limitless Source of Power
Whether you're religious or not most people believe in some sort of higher power. This energy is everywhere but it vibrates at different frequencies – you're one frequency and the things you want are there own frequency too with the same frequencies attracting each other which is why we have the saying 'like attracts like'. When we're feeling down we are vibrating at a lower frequency which can draw more negative energy towards us resulting in a series of crises. However, you can learn to raise your frequency therefore attracting more good things into your life through the Law of Attraction and a daily meditation practice.
Takeaway #5 Take Action!
To overcome hesitation you need to stop judging others, to overcome excuses you need to be clear about your goal - if you find that your resolve is weak you may need to adjust your goal, ask yourself some tough questions about what you really want – when you find that thing that you truly want, you'll be able to overcome procrastination, hesitation, and fear head on through taking action combined with positive thinking.
Takeaway #6 Don't Give Up!
Often times people won't succeed because they give up too soon. Never quit, even after rejection. Learn from your mistakes and keep pushing forward ensuring you have solid routines in place, a strong circle of supportive friends, and the right environment for you to succeed. If you realize that your friends are holding you back, make new ones. If you realize that you live in the wrong area, move. Don't let anyone or anything distract you from creating a life you love.
- Print length: 256 Pages
- Audiobook: 6 hrs and 22 mins
- Genre: Self Help, Nonfiction, Personal Development, Psychology
What are the chapters in You Are a Badass?
Chapter One - My Subconscious Mae Me Do It
Chapter Two - The G-Word
Chapter Three - Present as a Pigeon
Chapter Four - The Big Snooze
Chapter Five - Self-Perception Is a Zoo
Chapter Six - Love the One You Is
Chapter Seven - I Know You Are But What Am I?
Chapter Eight - What Are You Doing Here?
Chapter Nine - Loincloth Man
Chapter Ten - Meditation 101
Chapter Eleven - Your Brain Is You Bitch
Chapter Twelve - Lead with Your Crotch
Chapter Thirteen - Give and Let Give
Chapter Fourteen - Gratitude: The Gateway Drug to Awesomeness
Chapter Fifteen - Forgive or Fester
Chapter Sixteen - Loosen Your Bone, Wilma
Chapter Seventeen - It's So Easy Once You Figure Out It Isn't Hard
Chapter Eighteen - Procrastination, Perfection, and a Polish Beer Garden
Chapter Nineteen - The Drama of Overwhelm
Chapter Twenty - Fear Is for Suckers
Chapter Twenty-One - Millions Mirrors
Chapter Twenty-Two - The Sweet Life
Chapter Twenty-Three - The Almighty Decision
Chapter Twenty-Four - Money, Your New Best Friend
Chapter Twenty-Five - Beam Me Up, Scotty
What are some of the main summary points from the book?
Here are some key summary points from the book:
- Embrace your uniqueness: Recognize and celebrate your individuality. Embracing your true self, flaws and all, is essential to living a fulfilling and authentic life.
- Shift your mindset: Cultivate a positive and empowering mindset. Replace self-limiting beliefs and negative thoughts with affirmations and positive self-talk. Believe in your abilities and envision yourself achieving your goals.
- Take responsibility: Accept responsibility for your life and the choices you make. You have the power to change your circumstances and create the life you want by taking proactive steps and making intentional decisions.
- Overcome fear: Identify the fears that hold you back and confront them head-on. Fear often limits our potential and keeps us in our comfort zones. Push yourself beyond your limits and embrace discomfort as a necessary part of personal growth.
- Trust the Universe: Develop a belief in the power of the universe or a higher power to support and guide you. Trust that everything happens for a reason and that the universe has your back. This mindset can help you attract positive experiences and opportunities into your life.
- Take inspired action: Dreaming and visualizing your goals is important, but it's equally crucial to take action. Break down your goals into smaller, actionable steps and consistently work towards them. Trust your instincts and follow through with inspired action.
- Practice gratitude: Cultivate a sense of gratitude for what you have and the experiences you've had. Gratitude helps shift your focus towards abundance and attracts more positive experiences into your life. Regularly express appreciation for the blessings in your life.
- Surround yourself with positive influences: Choose to spend time with people who uplift and support you. Surround yourself with individuals who inspire you to grow, and distance yourself from negative influences that bring you down.
- Embrace failure and learn from it: Don't let the fear of failure hold you back. Embrace failure as an opportunity for growth and learning. Recognize that even the most successful individuals have faced setbacks and obstacles on their journey.
- Live in the present moment: Focus on the present moment and fully engage in your experiences. Avoid dwelling on the past or worrying excessively about the future. By being fully present, you can enjoy life to the fullest and make the most of every opportunity.
What is a good quote from You Are a Badass?
“If you’re serious about changing your life, you’ll find a way. If you’re not, you’ll find an excuse.”
― Jen Sincero - You Are a Badass Quotes
What do critics say?
Here's what one of the prominent reviewers had to say about the book: “I adore Jen's realistic and funny take on all matters of living an awesome life. She has such a gift for writing in a very digestible way that will appeal to everyone. If you're looking for purple unicorns and rainbows you won't find them here, what you will find are practical and easy ways to connect with your inner badass and change your life.” — Madisyn Taylor, Co-Founder, DailyOM
* The summary points above have been concluded from the book and other public sources. The editor of this summary review made every effort to maintain information accuracy, including any published quotes, chapters, or takeaways
Tal Gur is an author, founder, and impact-driven entrepreneur at heart. After trading his daily grind for a life of his own daring design, he spent a decade pursuing 100 major life goals around the globe. His journey and most recent book, The Art of Fully Living, has led him to found Elevate Society.